Thursday, June 14, 2012

Conditions for Classroom Technolgoy Innovation

After reading the article “Conditions for classroom technology innovations” I had a better understanding of my own strengths and weaknesses regarding technology in the classroom.  As of right now, I do not have much experience using technology to teach a lesson in physical education.  I do have experience with technology in my personal life.  I use a computer for my school work and emails.  I also am familiar with the Nintendo Wii and other gaming systems.  Studying figure 1 in the article that maps out the innovator, the innovation, and the context I concentrated on the innovator circle and thought about my own abilities and experiences.  Within my lesson I do have a great knowledge of “the technology and its enabling conditions.”  I am familiar with the Wii gaming system and with the game, Wii Sports.  I also have an understanding of the controllers and what each button does.  The relationship between the pedagogy and technology is also very strong.  I understand that exergaming is not a replacement for the actual game of tennis; this is why I have used it as a lesson in a bigger unit plan.  Exergaming gives those students whose physical abilities are limited to experience a sport or skill they may not have exposure to in the traditional physical education class.  The last aspect of knowing the organizational and social culture of the school is a weakness for me.  As of right now I am not teaching in a school, so I am going to use the schools I did my pre-student teaching in as a reference.  At Horace Mann Elementary I think the school would be very open to using technology in the physical education classes.  At Fairview Park High School, I think the same is true.  Both schools seem to very open to using technology to enhance the learning experience for the students.  This aspect of the innovator would be the most difficult to gauge.  If you are a new teacher in a new building it might take a year or two to understand the inner workings of the building and the school system.  In the article it mentioned one of they keys to success is a supportive environment among teachers.  I think this would be crucial and in order to foster this environment I think it is also important to think of other content areas.  For example, how can the Wii foster a technologically enhanced learning environment for social studies or chemistry?  I think the more of your colleagues you can get on board with developing a TELE, the more support you are going to have.    

No comments:

Post a Comment